Aforky and the 21 January movement: security and military cooperation and disregard of reform demandsAdoulis -Al Kash Barka- Special- 31 March 2013
The Aforky regime, in its pursuit to handle the effects of the 21 January Movement and deal with its repercussions, a seminar was held at Hanshekit in the area of Hiokta (at AL KASH Barka)attended by heads of all special branches of the military ground troops, except for the officers of the Southern Region Operations.
The military seminar is considered the first of its type after the movement of January 21st with the participation of colonel and higher.
Informed sources revealed to Adoulis the contents of the agenda which the participants discussed over the two days meeting on March 13 and 14,. T he officers, according to the sources, discussed all the consequences of January 21 Movement and set up plans to thwart any similar plans and eliminate all the effects of the Movement.
The seminar issued a number of resolutions and recommendations, summarized as follows :
- First: redistribute the military units and intensify the doses of moral mobilization and improve
the effectiveness of military intelligence.
- Second: Hasten to provide solutions to problems of social nature.
- Third: Monitor and categorize the opinions of individuals and exclude any person or group that may be a potential risk on the loyalty of the army.
- Fourth: re-establishing the hierarchical link between the military units and the Ministry of Defense that has been neglected for long time for the benefit of the generals.
As for the units (Popular Army)supervised by General Takly Mankous, the seminar recommended:
- Shrinking the size of that army gradually in the cities and keep the local volunteer army units in the countryside and withdraw the arms gradually.
- Setting up a program to integrate the popular army under the command of the Operations Branch in the Ministry of Defense and all the arrangements related to the coordination or communication with other regular forces will be conducted through a special coordinating unit affiliated to the Ministry of Defense.